Located in the village of Tammela on the shores of Lake Pyhäjärvi, the main building and surroundings of Vekkilä family estate welcome visitors to their charming 18th-century atmosphere. The museum, café and petting zoo are open from 12 noon till 6 p.m. on summer Sundays. The farm has an extensive range of animals, mainly native breeds, from hens to cows and pigs and sheep to ponies. The garden is overflowing with berry bushes and apple trees, and community garden activities are also being planned. The area features high biodiversity and many traditional biotopes. The destination is particularly suited for families with young children and groups (max 50 people).
Bed and breakfast accommodation in simple cabins and an outbuilding (sleeping 2 to 4). Sauna services for meeting participants. Possibility for camping. Meals for pre-booked groups. Local, organic and wild foods.
Surroundings and activities
- Vekkilä Museum Farm organises events, demonstrations and courses.
- By prior arrangement, horse-riding, caring for animals, kayaking trips and nature walks as well as heritage festivals.
- Nearby destinations for excursions include the national parks of Torronsuo and Liesjärvi, Korteniemi heritage farm, the historic town centre and national urban park of Forssa, Saari National Park, Kaukolanharju viewing tower and Elonkierto Agricultural Centre in Jokioinen. The Moomin Museum and Puuhamaa amusement park are at an easy driving distance. The area also has a versatile network of hiking trails.
- Summer events include festivals and markets, the Summer Night Marathon and Bella Italia car and motorcycle show.
- Train: Railway station in Hämeenlinna (45 km).
- Bus: Bus stop at 200 m for most express bus departures to Forssa (8 km)
- Motorists/cyclists: Follow road 2 from Helsinki. Before reaching Forssa, turn right and, after 4 km, right again towards Tammela. In Tammela village, drive past the church towards Porras. Turn right to Vekkiläntie Road and right again to Kirjurintie Road. Cyclists can also use the Hämeen Härkätie cycling route.
Opening times and prices
- Museum/café open on Sundays from June to August; accommodation from May till September (reservation 3 to 6 days in advance necessary for large groups).
- Accommodation in a cottage/outbuilding €35/person/day including the use of sauna. Bed linen €5/person. Organic breakfast €5, tents €15 and campervans €25/day.