Puukarin Pysäkki Inn is located in Northeastern Karelia 8 km from the village of Valtimo. Ecology and sustainability are in the heart of the enterprise, where sustainable tourism has been carried out already from the beginning of the 1990′.
The farm produces e.g. organic cereals, barley, oats and rye, vegetables, root crops and fruit. Home-baked rye bread, traditional Karelian pastries and cereal products are for sale on the farm.
For tourists the Inn offers bed and breakfast and full board accommodation. The Inn comprises 9 comfortable rooms sleeping 2 to 4 as well as an outbuilding sleeping 2 to 6. Also camping in the vicinity of the house. The main room of the Inn sits 40 diners. The meals are based on Karelian traditions using organic ingredients as much as possible.
Surroundings and activities
On the Inn:
- you can learn about organic farming and traditional skills and crafts.
- Also riding, a Karelian version of skittles, and winter sports (skis for hire).
- A smoke sauna for hire.
- The traditional holidays of the wintertime are celebrated in the old style.
- Guided tours of Murtovaara House Museum.
- a lake, a nature trail, a viewing point, heritage landscapes and cycling routes.
- The national parks of Hiidenportti and Tiilikkajärvi are at 25 km.
- The Inn is on various hiking and canoeing routes.
- It also is the starting point of the “From Inn to Inn” skiing tour.
- Train: Railway station in Nurmes, 35 km.
- Bus: Bus stop 400 m (visitors can be collected).
- Motorists/cyclists: Puukarin Pysäkki is located on Road 6 from Joensuu to Kajaani 32 km to the north of Nurmes.
Opening times and prices
- Open all year (R)
- Full board from €82/person, half board from €72/person. Bed and breakfast 66/72 €/single room, 94/102€/double room. Meals 15-25€.