An organic farm with arable farming and horticulture, fruit trees, berries, herbs. The farm has its own indigenous clover variety, a kitchen garden and plenty of traditional ornamental plants. Our forests have organic certification. Preserving the beautiful landscape is important for us.
Private lakeshore area on Pahujärvi Lake. 4 km from Längelmävesi Lake.
Ten beds in a log cabin (+ 2 extra beds and a cot). If you opt for self-service accommodation, please bring your own bed linen and towels.
Camping is available on the lawn outside the farmhouse. A dry/composting toilet available (cars not permitted beside the tents).
Cots and a high chair. Dogs and other pets are welcome (please let us know when booking). No smoking indoors.
Subject to availability, we use organic produce when catering for occasions: our coffee, tea, milk, sugar, eggs, oat flakes and flour are organic at all times. Grown on the farm/locally: herbs, asparagus; as seasonal products apples, plums and garden berries. The food we serve is based on ingredients from our region and wild herbs. Your hostess makes her own cheeses with milk from a neighbouring farm. The farm’s own clover variety, which goes back to the 19th century, keeps our fields green. We also have local rose varieties, hops, rhubarb etc. We protect the high levels of biodiversity in the surroundings of the farm.
Local economy: renovation and other services are procured from entrepreneurs in the village, and flour from local farmers.
Surroundings and activities
- Wild herb courses can be booked round the year.
- A boat or a canoe/kayak available to borrow.
- Catering for occasions of 10 people at minimum.
- Meeting services for 8 to 40 people.
- A wide range of treatments provided by local natural therapists and your hosts are available: for example herbal treatments, nutrition therapy, traditional posture alignment therapy, acupuncture and sound healing therapies.
- A smoke sauna, an infrared sauna and a traditional rural sauna.
- Herbal baths in a hot tub for 8 to 10 persons. A bathing area and winter swimming on the lake.
Destinations for excursions:
- Many nature trails and signposted hiking trails at a distance of 5 to 20 km, including Pukala, Kaarinanpolku, Eräpyhä and Siikaneva.
- Horse riding at several stables (5 to 20 km from the farm)
- cross-country skiing on tracks maintained by the village (3 km) and in Orivesi (11 km).
- Downhill skiing at Himos and Sappee ski centres.
- Art and culture can be enjoyed for example at Purnu Art Centre.
- Great dance pavilions in the local area in summer.
- Train: railway station in Orivesi, 9 km
- Bus: nearest stop in Naappila, 1 km
- Motorists/cyclists: Lahtua farm is easy to locate by the address.
Opening times and prices
- Open round the year, advance booking necessary in the high season.
- Ask for our prices, or visit our website.
- Bonus for ECEAT Finland members and visitors arriving without a motor vehicle:
visitors can be collected from the railway or bus station in Orivesi, or from the local bus stop, as agreed.
Our actions for the environment:
- the cabin has solar panels for heating water and heat-retaining fireplaces
- the house is heated with wood pellets, wood-burning fireplaces which retain heat, and air-water heat pumps
- wood from windfalls in the farm’s forests is used for heating when available
- water saving measures: only full loads washed in the dishwasher/washing machine, a water-saving shower.
- well-organised recycling and composting
- natural materials preferred
In the future:
- we will improve the campfire site on the lake
- we will re-open our home museum